This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.
Just in time for fall, pumpkin cheesecake macarons are a sweet treat packed with warm spices.
These macarons have all the comforting spices of fall wrapped up in a creamy frosting. It’s a mashup of two classics pie flavors in one bite: cheesecake and pumpkin pie.
The filling consists of two parts: cream cheese frosting and a rich pumpkin butter.
To make the pumpkin butter, combine all of the ingredients in a pan and cook over low heat for 30 minutes. The pumpkin purée and sugar caramelize and turn a deep brown color. You get all of the flavors of a baked pumpkin pie in a really concentrated form-perfect for macarons!
After you have filled the macarons, let them sit for a day or two. Something magical happens-the filling and the shells merge to form the perfect texture! Be sure to check out my Perfect Macaron Recipe for all of my baking tips and tricks!
- 822 grams pumpkin puree (1) 29 oz can
- 100 grams brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 113 grams butter unsalted, room temperature
- 113 grams cream cheese room temperature, Philadelphia
- 240 grams powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Make the Pumpkin Butter
- Combine all of the ingredients in a pan and cook over low heat for 30 minutes. The pumpkin purée will change from orange to a rich brown color.
- Allow the mixture to cool before transferring to a piping bag.
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Before you begin, make sure the butter and cream cheese are at room temperature.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, whip the room temperature butter on medium-high speed for five minutes. You will see a dramatic change-it will go from yellow to bright white and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in the cream cheese. Mix for another two minutes to completely combine.
- Sift the powdered sugar and add into the mixer in two batches, scraping the sides of the bowl in between. Let the mixer run for about 4 minutes and the frosting will be thick and velvety. Add the vanilla extract mix to combine.
Make the Pumpkin Cheesecake Macarons
- Make one batch of Perfect Macarons, adding 12 drops of orange and 6 drops of chocolate brown gel food coloring to the meringue.
- Pair matching shells and pipe a ring of frosting onto the bottom of each cookie.
- Fill the center of the ring with thepumpkin butter and top with the matching shell.
- Let the macarons rest for 24 hours before enjoying!
- This pumpkin butter recipe makes more than you will need to fill one batch of macarons (50 cookies). Store the extra pumpkin butter in a glass jar in the refrigerator for two weeks. It is delicious on toast, biscuits, or pancakes!
- This cream cheese frosting recipe is half of my original recipe and omits the milk for a thicker consistency.