This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.
Chocolate and cherry is a classic flavor combination and a delicious macaron filling.
This one is super simple-a ring of milk chocolate ganache is piped onto the shell and a maraschino cherry is placed in the center. It’s just like the candies you find in a box of chocolate!
I start with my Perfect Macaron Recipe and add 25 drops of super red gel food coloring to get an intense color.
This part is totally optional, but I dusted half of the piped macarons with red sugar. This gives a nice sparkly look to the macarons and adds an interesting texture. I sprinkle this over the macarons right after I tap the pan to get out all of the bubbles (while it’s still wet). Don’t worry about the extra sugar- it will not melt in the oven or mess up the bake. After the shells are removed from the baking mat, you can shake it off to reuse.
The main flavor of this macaron is a delicious milk chocolate ganache. I like to start by piping a ring onto the bottom of each shell. This forms a perfect base and leaves just the right amount of space in the center for one half of a maraschino cherry. Top with a matching shell to form a perfect macaron!
After you let the macarons rest for 24 hours, the filling is so good. The creamy ganache is just the right texture and the cherry in the center is such a great surprise!
For all of my baking tips and base recipe, be sure to start out with my Perfect Macarons!
- 226 grams milk chocolate chips
- 80 grams heavy cream
- 25 Maraschino cherries cut in half (50 total)
Make the Milk Chocolate Ganache
- Heat the cream in a small pan just to a simmer.
- Place the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Pour the hot cream over and let it sit for 4 minutes. Stir until all of the chocolate is melted and the ganache is smooth and creamy. Transfer to a piping bag and let cool at room temperature.
Make the Chocolate Covered Cherry Macarons
- Drain the cherries and cut each one in half.
- Make a batch of Perfect Macarons, adding 20 drops of super red gel food coloring to the meringue.
- Pair matching shells and pipe a ring of ganache onto the bottom of each cookie.
- Fill the center of the ring with of the cherries and top with the matching shell.
- Let the macarons rest for 24 hours before enjoying!
- This caramel recipe makes more than you will need to fill one batch of macarons (50 cookies). This ratio is easy to manage-smaller proportions of sugar will burn much faster. Store the extra caramel sauce in the refrigerator for two weeks.